August 22, 2014
August 21, 2014
As the week winds down, I'm finding myself really looking forward to next week's vacation. While it's usually a week away on the lake as a family, with football and the impending kitchen renovation, this year's week ahs turned into a staycation. C-man wants to see some art and each some French food. Maybe we'll day trip it to Chicago. (Returning for 5 p.m. practice, of course!) I'd like to geocache and play some mini-golf.
No matter where we go, I'm going to make sure it's a week to focus on the calm and the fun, and not be so scattered. Because I really do feel scattered lately. I try to read a book, and my mind wanders. I start to clean up the kitchen, and I end up elbow deep in cleaning a toilet bowl. Or I just find myself staring off, not really able to concentrate on anything or anywhere.
Only 2 more days...
at 8:52 AM
August 18, 2014
This weekend went far too quickly. What I'd intended to be quite lazy turned into a bit of a frenetic get it all done around the house. Beerman and I did get to go see a movie (The Hundred-Foot Journey) while C-man was staying over at a friend's house. (Despite it being an Oprah movie, sitting in front of an older couple who reiterated the points to one another aloud (often minutes after the point or connection was obviously made), near a woman who not only didn't shut her phone off but answered it and talked in a regular voice without leaving the theater, and behind another woman who repeatedly checked her phone on highest brightness throughout, it was a feel good fun time.)
This morning, C-man was so tired we had to peel him out of bed this morning (what I believe is the result of both the sleepover and his body still recovering from week 1 of football). But he's off to his last week of camp - a fishing one this week. And then next week, we are lazing around on our duffs all week. Well, except for him from 5 - 7:30 each day, of course. It's hard to comprehend it's all winding down. Sigh. I am going to miss summer break.
at 12:44 PM
August 16, 2014
- It's National Honeybee Day. So lay off your insecticides and herbicides and enjoy their beauty.
- I sure hope my honeybees are making honey today.
- C-man had his baseline concussion test today. I should have explained better what to expect, because his 4th grade mind was going wild. It was just a simple computer-based test.
- He finished his first week of tackle football off strong, but is exhausted. I'd forgotten that sick pit in your stomach, pure and absolute exhaustion of every fiber of you, including your brain, tired until I saw him last night after practice. He's a trooper, though, and wants to keep going.
- I'm glad it's a semi-lazy weekend of household stuff. We all need this.
at 1:09 PM
August 15, 2014
- Having completed 10 full hours of practice, C-man gets to put football pads on for the first time tonight. He is thrilled. I am nervous.
- He has his baseline concussion test tomorrow. Yikes.
- Harry is so smelly, I can barely stand it. He really needs a bath, but we don't do it weekly because it's so hard on him. He's going to have to suck it up on Sunday!
- I've been downloading audio books from the library, but they only give you a week to finish them. That's a lot of listening in one week.
- I hope my bees are doing well. I just ordered two more honey super boxes just in case they need them, and a hot knife for harvest time. I still haven't invested in an extractor, but Beerman thinks he can rig something up for me for at least the first year.
- Since it's Friday, I'm getting out of work early to see C-man's "gallery" display at summer camp. It's a really good excuse to get the weekend started early.
at 11:30 AM